Monday, January 18, 2010

A Bright Day!

  Today was a very productive day for me. I slept in late (thanks to Dr. King), Worked out!!, wrote in my journal, cleaned the bathroom, folded clothes, and graded a HUGE pile of student's work. After all of that, I spent some time in my craft/office/second closet working on my calender. As I have stated before in a previous post, I was sick of my plain jane, boring calender and decided to make some changes. But before that I also read my Bible.

 I read a good bit of Genesis today and wow..."he begat this one, and that begat that one." Im wondering why there is the "begat" roll call? I cant say that having read it I learned anything and I guess saying that about a part of the Bible, well its kind-of unsettling for the church girl in me. I then jumped over to read the book of Jonah, it was my attempt to feel a sense of accomplishment, and well I have to say that I got more out of those chapters. I really enjoyed chapter 4:6-11. In this chapter Jonah has finally given in and gone were God told him to go...well come on, how many of us wouldn't after being swallowed by a whale and then vomited up on a beach?? Well anyway, so he's in Nineveh and he's pretty mad that God wants to save the city. So he goes outside the city and watches almost in anticipation to see what Gods going to do to it...sounds to me like he's waiting on some "Hellfire and Brimstone." Well God makes this gourd to grow and give Jonah shade, (how awesome that God loved him enough to care that the sun shone on him!) but then the next day He allows a worm to kill it. So the next day the sun shines bright and Jonah is very angry to find that the gourd is dead. This is when it really gets to the nitty gritty. God says Jonah, 
"You had pity on the gourd which you had neither labored over, neither made to grow, and which came up in a night and died in a night. But you a dont think I should spare Nineveh, which has thousands of people." 
Seems to me that this was a two fold lesson: 
1. We tend to take offense for the things that affect us, just as Jonah was a bit upset about losing his shade. And in most cases the things that we tend to pay so much attention to are things that have little effort, substance, or purpose.
2. We sometimes lose sight of the fact that its people that matter and just because we right them off does not mean that God has. And sometimes God removes things in our lives so that we can focus on what really matters...People!
  So that was what I got, but who knows I could be way off. I pray that I don't lose sight of people and that I never forget that showing the Love of God should come first.
I have included some pictures of my Bright calender...Hope that you have a Bright Day!!


 


No comments: