Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Color is a Big Deal!

  I had my painting class tonight and we are working on out first project. The first project is meant to be a simple familiarization with the basics of painting, as well as the vocabulary associated with it. So we start with a simple geometric still life, meaning some 3-d shapes on a table. Now to start with, our project is done only in achromatic, which is Black and White. Achromatic means without color.  Now I love black and white, but when it comes to paint I LIKE Color!!!!! But I've taken a few painting classes and I understand the importance of starting off with the basics and then adding to that. Anyway, to the point as my mom says...After spending the night working with Black and White and shades of Gray (blah!!!) I started to really think more about color and its many complexities. We dont really ever stop to think about how we see color and the elements that help create the vibrant hues that shade and highlight our world. I vaguely recall a teacher telling me that nothing has color, its only thanks to the sun that we see the different colors. So as I drove home tonight after my class I noticed my prism that hangs from my rear view mirror and I was reminded of that. It was as if it hit me that we are all achromatic till the Son creates some color in our lives. And then as I looked at that small prism, and watched the way that the light hit it, I was reminded that its only able to reflect its color when the Light hits it. So I gave me lil prism a twirl, just because I love to see how it make little bits of color dance around my car, as if little fairies were fluttering here and there. Then as the prism started to slow down it was as if God showed me that the prism only reflects color because it has been cut and shaped to do so. Our world is blah in so many ways and only the Son can bring light and color to this world. We can reflect His light, but to do this He may have to take off a bit of our corners (our, pride, anger, impatiences, selfishness, doubt, and so many more that I tend to deal with!). To get the good light and colors you need a lot of facets and that requires giving up a little of ourselves. Just like with diamonds, you have to cut them and shape them for them to catch the best light.
  The older I get the more I realize that almost everything that is good does not come in what we view as a good way. I dont know about you but losing weight is hard! Being a better, more loving person is not always easy. And in most cases the the old saying applies, "Nothing good comes without hard work and determination." Even color, a day to day thing that I tend to take for granted, has a lot going on with it. I do know that I want to be reflecting color and light into the lives around me and I still have some corners and facets that need work! Well I hope that you reflect some light and add some color to your world!



Seascape Photogram
Created in my photography class using light sensitive paper and everyday objects. You place the objects on the paper and then expose it to light for a short moment. You then put the paper in the chemicals that you develop film in and it sets it. The place where the object was will remain white, while the rest of the paper turns black. This was to teach us the principle behind film. I really liked these and did a couple of them.



Both of these are great examples of achromatic.

Oh, and I included a tidbit about color for you to check out below.
So, what is Color? The color of anything in nature depends on the kind of light that it sends to our eyes. Our eyes can only see visible light, a form of electromagnetic energy, which sends out waves similar to the waves a rock makes whenwave form diagram  tossed into a still pond. There are many kinds of electromagnetic energy waves, such as x-rays (shortest), ultraviolet rays, visible light, infared rays, and radio waves (longest). The visible spectrum is only a narrow sliver of the electromagnetic spectrum.
Light is essential to our perception of color. The apparently white light from the sun actually contains all of the possible color variations. Just as each portion of the electromagnetic spectrum has a corresponding wavelength, each color in the visible spectrum has its own wavelength. Reds have the longest wavelengths, and deep purples have the shortest. The color of an object depends on what type of light is hitting it, what colors are absorbed by the surface of the object, and what colors are relected back to our eyes.
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rq1/undercolor/indexnew2.html


1 comment:

Barbara keir said...

My students have not been aloud to use color all year! we start our new semester next week and the kids can't wait! they have learned the value of color. Now let's hope they know the value of cleaning up after themselves.