Thursday, March 18, 2010

Still in the works & Looking back

Tonight I made some headway on my collage painting. Its really coming together and I'm enjoying my class. I have to say that I'm really thankful that it’s Friday tomorrow!! I'm really excited about spending the weekend not doing much at all. A friend of mine recently inspired me to go back and read some old notes. So I took her advice and came across this below. I wrote it a few years back and thought that it applied as much today as it did back when I wrote it. -Till Tomorrow

The Influence of Democracy
By Alexis de Tocqueville

…All this is not in contradiction to what I have said before on the subject of individualism. The two things ate so far from combating each other, that I can see how they agree. Equality if conditions, while it makes men feel their independence, shows them their own weakness: they are free, but exposed to a thousand accidents; and experience soon teaches them, that although they do not habitually require the assistance of other, a time almost always comes when they cannot do without it.


I had book when I was little that my parents gave to me titled, “I Can Do It By Myself,” as you might have gathered that was something I said quit often when they would try and help me. Now that I am older I have realized, just like the observation by Mr. Tocqueville, that we all have moments when we require the assistance of others. We can’t do everything By Ourselves and it’s not a sign of weakness to say that we need help. All of us deep down want to feel the satisfaction of independence, but we must realize that we are all have weaknesses, just in different areas, but we must remember what 2 Cor. 12:9 says, “My Grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.” When we trust God to take us thru and admit our need for Him we will experience a much deeper and fulfilling satisfaction.

My collage painting...its still in the process
(not the best photo) 

1 comment:

Alex said...

Nice work on the collage painting. It's really coming along and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Best,
Alex