Sunday, June 13, 2010

Small Changes Do Add Up

   I have been trying to make some small changes when it comes to my spending habits. I LOVE to spend money and have the debt to prove it. I have collected a good bit of credit card debt and then there's the school loans (I tend to not include my school loans in the amount I owe since, well, they are school loans...I know stupid thinking) So I decided that it was time to get rid of this debt and I needed to make some changes. Last year I met with the Burks and really looked at what I owed. I met with them because they had done Dave Ramsey and were living a debt free life. If you haven't read the book I highly recommend it! Funny part about all of this is that my parents have raised all 6 of us kids debt free. So I figured up all that I owed, had to take a moment after getting the grand total (yep I have REALLY done my share to help stimulate the economy!!) and then I had to figure out what changes I was going to make to make getting out a debt not just a dream but a reality.  I had just started my job at South Plaq High and was living in a really cute 3 bedroom rent house that was costing me close to $850 a month. My parents offered to let me move into one of the little two bedroom trailers that they had been given after Katrina and so I made the decision to make the move. I then cut up all of my credit cards and started making some changes. Now I would love to say that it all went as Dave said but I have some serious shoe, clothes, and travel addictions, all of which have been not so good for the spending free lifestyle. I do allow myself to spend a little here and there but none goes on the cards. I even did my trip to Europe all cash and nothing on credit. I had already paid for none refundable tickets before deciding to get out of debt so I had to go, but was so proud of myself for not using my cards. I have fallen off the wagon a few times and have not put as much of a dent in my debt as I wish but I'm still working on it. I hope to have two of my cards paid off this year. Gods blessed me with additional funds since deciding to do this. I have had three opportunities this summer to make a considerable amount of money and I will be able to do them because this is the first summer in four years that I have not done a trip out of the country. The not traveling and taking a big summer trip has been one of the big changes that I have made, while there has also been quite a few small ones. 
   Some of the small changes include: doing my own manicures, dying my own hair, reducing my cell plan and direct tv channels, packing lunches, and not buying little knickknacks for my house. I still have a long way to go and a lot less spending to do, but I'm going to get there.








Every few months I have to refocus and get my spending under control. I wish it were easy and that I had never gotten myself in this situation in the first place. But that is life, you live and learn. I will finish with one of my favorite quotes...    -Till Tomorrow
"Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn."
— C.S. Lewis

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your sister lydia says, you get real fast at doing feet, you make money!! you do toes for side job! ling ling...why you pass by classy nails not say hi me?!