Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Missing YMI

YMI 2010
   So tonight was the last night of YMI (Young Ministers Institute a place for serious young adults to explore the call of God on their lives)  and the celebration service. Its the night when the YMIers get to use their talents for God and they do the service. This has been the service that I usually organize but just like everything we made some changes and Blair was in charge of it this year. I heard that she did an awesome job and that the service was great! It always is, we have such talented students with a heart that wants to worship.
Trying to make decisions

A few pics from YMI:
Looking like they are deep in discussion





                 

   Well this morning I started Creative Scholars Camp, a camp for students with dyslexia and other learning disorders. Its a really cool camp and we not only give them practical tips that they can take back for the new school year but we have lots of Fun as well. I'm teaching a studies skills and organization class. Who would have thought that I would have come this far, all the times I wanted to quit.
I shared at YMI how after I was diagnosed with a learning disorder while in my Jr. year of college they gave me the results of all of my tests and in the last page said the following, "Sylvia may want to seek career counseling and discuss her  unrealistic expectations for a career and her future." I could have died!!! Unrealistic Expectations!!! I was two semesters away from student teaching and had a 3.7 GPA. No, it had not been easy and there were many days I wanted to give it up, and I would cry my eyes out. But then I would suck it up and do what I had to do.  To man, with my learning disorder, it may have seemed that it couldn't be done. I, on the other hand, had God on my side and I pushed forward because I was going to be a teacher!! This Dec. will be two years of teaching for me....so stick that in your Unrealistic Expectations!
1 Cor. 1:27-31 comes to mind when I think about it.

1 comment:

Jessica Blood said...

I like those Unrealistic Expectations, and the fact that you needed to seek help on it. I didn't know that about you. So I thought of something else you could do for your blog, one day could be 2-3 things that people may not know about you, like random facts about me day. And you need to link up your what i wore wed to the pleated poppy its easy to do. Oh, and I miss you.