Sunday, August 22, 2010

Needing more Fruit in my Life

  
Tonight's sermon was on having the fruit of the Spirit in your life. We have been commanded to bear fruit in our lives, I don't know about you but I still struggle sometimes.
Love: I need to work on love not only those I like but the ones I dislike.
Joy: Having the joy of the Lord no matter what comes my way.
Peace: I could use more of the peace of God and less of the stress of life.
Patience: Wow this one really gets me. I've been working on this for a while and still need to continue to work on this. I'm learning that God's timing is the best timing.
Kindness: Yep, I occasionally am not a kind person. I want to be kind to all men at all times.
Goodness: I guess if I was doing all of the above all the time then goodness would not be a question.
Faithfulness: This on seems to hing on the rest. I am being faithful when I do the above and seek to Glorify God in all that I do.
and finally the one that I may struggle with the most...
Self-control: I need more self-control in my many aspects of my life. 
I'm going to be conscious this week to let the fruit of the spirit be active in my life. I want to let these things become apart of my very fiber.
Well I hope that you have a great week and remember to get your daily fruit.
-Till Tomorrow

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dad will be excited you should tell him you liked the message luv ya, i pray for you to have any stress this week

Anonymous said...

that was NO stress

Anonymous said...

Sylvia,
I always love reading your blog! I am so out of date with mine...I think sometimes life gets the better of me and I don't just sit down to do it. Nevermind....

I wanted to maybe give you a bit of encouragement in this area. God had been speaking to my heart about Himself and how I respond and who I am in Him.

John 15:5 says: I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for
without me ye can do nothing.

I love the word abide/abideth...the webster's definition of abide is this: to remain stable or in a fixed state. Mind you I think that in this instance the intransitive verb is the usage that makes the most sense...because an intransitive verb has only ONE argument it's subject. It doesn't take an object. So if that is the case then if we are to ABIDE in Him and he ABIDES in us....then there isn't a leaving...we are! One of the besst ways I have been able to explain this verse and that which conntects to it is this: The verse says if we abide in him and he in us then we WILL bear much fruit.
If Christ is the vine and we the branches then we are an extention...we CANNOT bear anything that the vine does not produce. If the vine produces grapes we won't produce oranges. I think we feel like we have to really work at bearing fruit...but does a tree have to work at bearing fruit or does it bear fruit because of WHAT it is... we are same if we are yeilded to the Spirit and Christ is living through us then we can bear nothing but what Christ would bear.
Does that mean that we will not mess up and have a bad attitude? Or that we will be unkind? No probably not but like I said if we are yeilded and Christ is alive and active in our hearts and lives then we will naturally be like Christ.
Something the Lord has shown me recently is that I have strived all my life to be a good christian and do what would please my Father...in the new covenant (since we live under the new coventant) the Word says to strive/make every effort to enter into rest. Nothing about striving in any other context.
I suppose what I am getting at is this....it isn't up to us to really work at it....we just need to abide...if we do that then everything else beings to fall into place.

Does that make sense or am I sounding crazy to you. Love girl... Allenia