Thursday, September 16, 2010

How Much is Too Much?

 Oh what a tangled web we weave,
 when we continue to be naive.

   So we had a discussion tonight at the dinner table. Yep you heard right, we still sit around the dinner table and talk as a family, and I love that we do. Well tonight's discussion was about how people share too much on media outlets like Facebook and the internet. How much is too much? I guess its a questions that all of us should ask ourselves. I mean, isn't a blog just that, sharing yourself. I guess that there is good and bad with this like everything else. Does any good come from this? Should I not have a blog that shares my life and ideas with others? Some think that even the smallest thing can be used by others against you or to harm you in some way. I'm thankful that I haven't been subjected to this. Some say that I say too much, I share too much, I know I can sometimes be a bit blunt. So I guess the real question is, how do we remain cautious, while still staying up to date and apart of the modern cyber age?
   It's so sad that there is so much bad in this world that even the very words that you type and the pictures you post can be used, manipulated, and distorted in a way that can be character damaging. Its sad that we live in a world where people can't take us as we are and leave it as that. A perfect world would be where no words were twisted, no spoken or typed words taken out of context, no photos manipulated.
   Well I hope that this is not misinterpreted or taken the wrong way....well because that just wouldn't be good, I'm just saying.

1 comment:

Paul Burke said...

I think that most people who say that there's too much social networking either have a personal issue with obsessive-compulsive behavior and can't control their involvement with social media, or just don't really understand what it is.

Through social media:
I get to connect with friends, thousands of miles away.
I get to connect with people in our congregation, 7 days/week. (Not just one or two.)
I get to encourage people when they're down, celebrate their victories with them, and sometimes even offer a word of correction to those who are straying down a destructive path.

Umm... I don't think one can get too much of that.

My two cents.