Monday, November 22, 2010

A Few of My Favorite Things

   One of my favorite parts about Christmas is getting all of my decorations down and putting up my tree. If you know me at all you know that most of the time I'm a kid cleverly disguised as a responsible adult. That said, my tree definitely reflects my inner child. I love unwrapping all of my ornaments and remembering the memories that go with them, or the places that I visited and brought them back from. My Mom has always gotten us, or made us, a Christmas ornament. I have also started to get an ornament from the places that I travel to. Opening up the ornaments always makes me a lil sad because it reminds me that I'm the only one from my family that took my ornaments out when we evacuated for Katrina. So I thought that I would share with you a few of my favorite things. So it seems that I have not only new, old, and themed ornaments, but I also have an impressive collection of Red Mushroom ornaments (not something you see on every tree). So sit back and enjoy a small glimpse of what makes my tree so FUN!

 Since I have to get a new tree, mine bit the dust this year and by that I mean one of the wires got cut and no lights on the upper part...so anyway, since I couldn't put them up yet I put them in this really cute suitcase that I got from Goodwill for $2.

 Last year I got the red one and then found the pink one this year...guess its going to be a fun shoe collection to add to. Oh, and the inside reads:
"All I want is peace on earth and really cute shoes."

 Found these cute lil guys last year when I got the rest of my Gumdrop stuff (check back and I'm sure that I will post pics of the Gumdrop display...soooo Cute!!!)

 So we will go backwards from 2009, the watering can. Yep, once I started teaching I started getting teacher and education themed ornaments. Love the one with the lil worm in the apple.

 Here's 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998. My Mom made all of these.

 And wow...'95, '94, '93, '92, '91. Seems that I got two for each year except '94.
 And back even further...1987 was the year Mom was doing a lot of wood painting.

 These are my favorites...the best year of all. It was the wonderful year that I graced this earth with my presence and started to make everything around me better just by being there...haha, well at least thats what I like to tell myself.

 And true to my inner child, my collection of Dr. Seuss ornaments...this years will be added tomorrow after my visit to the Hallmark store.
Oh, and I thought you would enjoy some of my favorite quotes from the great Dr.
Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #1
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss
 
Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #2
Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.
Dr. Seuss
Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #3
From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere.
Dr. Seuss
 
Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #4
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Dr. Seuss
 
Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #5
Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way.
Dr. Seuss
 
Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #6
If you never did, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good.
Dr. Seuss
 
Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #7
I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful, one hundred percent.
Dr. Seuss
 
Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #8
So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.
Dr. Seuss
Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #9
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed.
Dr. Seuss
 
Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #10
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.
Dr. Seuss

 Now prepare yourself, the next collection of ornaments are so cute and fun...and no, I'm not a drug head, but I do think it has something to do with my childhood love of the Smurfs and that my name means "lover of the forest" and they grow in the forest hmm... something to think about.

  Aren't they just the cutest things!?! I love colorful mushrooms and was beyond giddy when I found them for my tree!!! And look at that lil cute baby one.


These may look like the least fabulous but they are my favorites because they were my Grandmothers. The paint is peeling away and there are scratches here and there but when I pull them out they bring back all the memories of Christmas at my Grandparents, and that means more to me then any new shiny ornaments.

Here are the ornaments that I have brought back from my travels. The Eskimo from Alaska, Pandas from China, the snowman from Venice, Italy and made from Murano glass. Cross from Mexico, and the round ones from The Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns, Mount Rainier, Jamaica, Cozumel, Austria, and Switzerland.  


It's always nice when you have a job that so easily allows for others to find you cute lil Christmas gifts, such as a Teacher's Ornament. 

I got both of these last year...seems word of my coffee addiction is out.

and well he is just so cute I had to share him with you all...doesn't he have just the sweetest face ever!!
Well I hope you enjoyed a small peek at a few of my favorite things. Come back and you can see it on my new tree. I will post pictures of the new tree in all its glory tomorrow.
-Till Tomorrow

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Made me a lil lonesome when I looked at your ornaments. I lost so many only saved a couple that I found. Wish I would have brought mine out but you don't cry over split milk. Will come over for a couple of coffee after you finish decorating.
Luv ya get, Carleen some hot choc. mix in town tomorrow