Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year!!

 
 
   This has really been a great year! I've had some fun adventures and enjoyed making some great memories with friends and family. I did a lot of first this year, like turning 30,  going to my first St. Patrick's Parade, seeing the Broadway Musical "Wicked",  my first Cruise,  first Road Trip, seen the Grand Canyon, my first and last experience with online dating,  attended my first "Tacky Christmas" party, and saw the Nutcracker.
I didn't travel out of the country this summer for the first time in 5 years, but I did take a 7 day cruise with friends for the Mardi Gras break and it was a Blast!!! I got to log a dive in Belize and it was amazing. I did work 3 summer camps and in between them me and a friend took a road trip to the Grand Canyon. I have to say that I was blown away by the magnitude, vastness, grander, and beauty of the Canyon. I also got to experience both a sunset and sunrise on the Canyon and it only increased my love for the splendor of God.
    I can truly say that I have grown as a person this year. I feel that I have more of an understanding of who I am, what I want in life, what kind-of people I want in my life, and I feel that I am a much better teacher then the year before. I guess that is all anyone can hope for, to complete a year and look back and feel that they have grown as a person. I always feel like I could have grown closer in my walk with Christ, but I don't feel as if I have strayed from it. I guess thats a good place to be in, one where you feel that you still are in need of the mercy and grace of God. 
   I have to say that this year was all the better because of the people and friends that God has blessed me with. I don't think I would have made it through the Fall semester without my girls at work. They are there for me when I need to vent and say things that could have others giving me strange looks. My family has also been a huge support and I have really enjoyed my nieces and nephew. I still can't believe how fast this year has flown by!! I'm looking forward to this coming year and all of the adventures that I'm sure to find myself in. Whats so great about a new year and that there's no telling what can happen and where it will take me. I really hope and pray that I get to see some changes and new "firsts" for me. I'm also hoping to get to do some traveling and maybe get in a visit to see my friend Barbara in Japan, maybe visit a someplace new and ancient, and maybe go for a lil sunny visit for Mardi Gras break with Courtney. Who knows what 2011 will bring, one thing that I know it will bring in 31 days is my 31st Birthday and thats kind-of freaking me about a bit. I just can't believe that I will be 31 this year. My students all think I'm around 24 so I'm just going to go with that. But as far as my drivers license says I'm still 31 no matter how young I may look. I just feel like maybe I should have more done by now, not that I'm complaining. I was just talking to my Dad the other day and I told him I just have to visit Australia and Antarctica and I will have visited all of the seven continents.
   I haven't yet decided if I'm going to do a list for this year like I did last year, I'm thinking about it and I still have some things that I have to do this year that I didn't get done in 2010. This was my list of things to complete in 2010:

1. Read through the Bible in a year. I did it when I was a kid but as it seems that was awhile back. *Wow, was way off on this one and not completing this one makes me sad.

2. Ride a New Orleans streetcar.  *How did I miss on getting this one done?? I will do it in 2011!!

3. Go to the New Orleans Aquarium...I know I live so close and never really take advantage of all the things the Big Easy has. **It was amazing...loved all the fish, like diving but not getting wet!**

4. Hike Tunica Falls.  *Man I really wanted to do this, going to put it on the list for next year.

5. Go two months without spending anything besides bills, gas, and meds...Im going to need the meds for this one. **I did this, it was NOT easy at all!!! Won't be putting this on the list for next year.

6. Blog everyday! Even if its not that all eventful. *Didn't hit everyday but I came very close!

7. Pay off my mom and 2 credit cards (not an easy task if you saw their balances but I can do it!) *Ok, paid off my Mom, got my emergency fund built up and almost have one cc paid off.

8. Go Tubing  *So sad we didn't get to do this, so going to put it on the list for next year!

9. Take a painting class. **Got an A in it!**

10. Visit and indulduge in all that Angelo Brocato's has to offer.  **It was delicious!!!
At Brocato's Yummm!!






11. Watch seasons 1 and 2 of Law & Order in a day.  *I pretty much watch it everyday but didn't get to watch them all in a row.

12. Go see a Broadway show. **I saw Wicked**

13. Plant at least 5 trees. (my part to help the planet) *Can't believe I didn't do this one!!! Going to plant 10 this coming year to make up for it.

14. Complete a series of fleur de lis drawings.  *Got 3 of them done but so tired of seeing the fleur de lis everywhere!!

15. Learn a new word a month.   *I learned a few here and there and my kids even taught me a few


16. See the Nutcracker!      **Went the weekend before Christmas and it was Great!!!!

17. Read a book a month.    **I did do this one!!! A few months I even read more than one.

18. Read Jane Eyre.   *Read some of it :)

19. Log a Dive. **Logged 2 dives in Belize and it was amazing!!!**







20. Cook 5 of Julia Child's recipes including her Beef Bourguignon  *Sadly I didn't get this one done as well :( But its going on the 2011 list as well.

21. See how long I can jump rope for (I will need to do some training for this one).   *Haha, not sure what I was thinking?? Didn't get this one either, I was going to try and get it in today but couldn't find a jump rope Haha!!!  

   Wow, so I only got 9 out of my 21 on the list done...kind-of sucked at that! In the words of one of my students "Epic Fail!" I'm going to make a new "To Do List" for 2011 and hopefully do better then I have this year. That will be number one on the list, to complete more items on my To Do List then I did in 2010 haha!! Well 45 min. left of 2010 and I'm pretty excited about a New Year!!! 
 -Till Next Year :)

2 comments:

Jessica Blood said...

I think the fact that you made a list, and did your best at marking things off was Great!
It has been such a joy reading your blog all year, it was almost like I got to get out the house and do things!

syllatham said...

Thanks so much Jessica!!!! So I hope that you decide to join me this year and make your own list. Go read my post for the 1st and I explain more. Love you girl!!