Saturday, April 9, 2011

Being Poor in Spirit

  
      For those of you that may not know, I went to homeschool my for all of my elementary and high school years. Yep, all of them... not even a preschool for me! As a part of the core of my education, my parents wanted me to have strong character and a deep respect and understanding for the word of God. One of the things that my parents had us do was to memorize Matthew 5. They wanted us to learn 5, 6, and 7 but all I got was 5 and some of 6. But the thing about memorizing scripture is that, like everything else, if you don't use it you lose it. So I try to read it often so as to not forget it. One thing that I have learned as I have gotten older is that it's not just important to memorize a verse, but to meditate on it. So that is what I'm going to do, take it one verse at a time and meditate, mull over, and ponder. I thought that I would also see what others had to say on this topic as well.

   So, diving right in, lets take a look.
"And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him: And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying, Blessed [are] the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Matt. 5:1-3
     One thing that stands out in the first verse is the fact that the disciples went to Him. We have to seek Him, sit at His feet and He will teach us, but it requires that we stop and listen. Verse 3 then starts things right off by saying that when we realize we are nothing without God, then we will gain the kingdom of heaven. I like how one of the translations said it,  "God blesses those who realize their need for him,* for the Kingdom of Heaven is given to them." I hope that I never forget that I cannot do any of this alone, I need Him. I will never not need Him! He is my peace within the storm, the light within the dark, the quit when there is nothing but the noise of life all around. He is my guide, my lamp, my compass, my provider, my healer, my joy, my Father, and the one who gives me what I need when I need it. It's only when we truly recognize our complete need for Him that we gain it all.
-Till Next Time

No comments: