Monday, June 27, 2011

A Few Words...and a Few Pictures that are Worth More

    Today it rained and Courtney and I got the privilege to watch the movie the Titanic. Now I cannot say that I am a fan, my fan meter does not even come close to my friend Courtney's.  This was her FB status, which may help you a bit to have a better understanding of how much of a fan she is:
while watching titanic on lifetime (which, with commercials takes like, 4-5 hours), i looked up the movie's wikipedia page and found out that it's being re-released in theaters in 2012. in 3D. this might be the second most exciting thing happening to me in 2012, the first being getting married. clearly, i am ultra-cool.
9 hours ago ·  · 
       Now there are a few parts of the move that I love and my favorite is at the end when they show the old lady laying in her bed and they pan out and you see all of these frames. In each frame is a picture of all the things she had told Jack she wanted to do, things to see, places to travel to... to be her own "King of the World!" I love how it shows an account of her life in experiences.
     I recently read two books by Mark Batterson and the first one was "Wild Goose Chase" and in that book he talks about how sometimes in life we need to change our geography so we can change our perspective. He encourages you to go on a missions trip, go to a conference, do something that will pull you out of your spiritual rut. I have to say that I have been giving it my all. In the second book I read by him "In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day," while on my way to a missions trip to El Salvador, I came across I quote that is now one of my favorites:

"Collect experiences and not possessions." -Mark Batterson

     I have not slept in my own bed since the 6th of June. I have slept in the mountains of El Salvador on a bunk bed, slept on the floor in a house in San Salvador, slept a lil on a plane, slept on a couch at a cousins house, and then slept on a sofa in a condo in St. Maarten/Martin. The last 3 weeks have been such an adventure, but I have to say that I am looking forward to my own lil twin bed at home. Yep, you heard me right, I sleep on a twin bed! But every time I roll over and hit my wall I remind myself that I'm saving $700. You see I moved out of my rent house, which could fit my queen size bed, and into my lil two bedroom trailer/loft apartment and saved $700 a month. That saved money is getting me out of debt and letting me travel. Also, going from a 3 bedroom rent house to a very small 2 bedroom loft like trailer really pushes you to down size. No matter who you are it never fails the bigger the space we reside in the more stuff we will find to fit in it! After Katrina, my whole life fit in a Nissan Sentra! Plus I am learning that I can travel pretty light.  Ok, sorry got a little off track there...back to what I was saying about traveling and experiences.

     I found this quote and it seemed to be as if someone read my journal and made this quote just for me. Haha!!
Without travel "I would have wound up a little ignorant white Southern female, which was not my idea of a good life." -- Lauren Hutton
     How much of ourselves to we discover and uncover while traveling. You develop deeper respects for other's cultures, ways of life, and beliefs. You understand just a little better a God who made all things and loves us all the same, and when you're realizing this while standing in a small village in a 3rd world country, it's a humbling thing! You connect with a humility and thankfulness that only comes when your eyes are opened to all of the needs of those around the world. It's one thing to say that there is a need, it's
an entirely different thing to be in the middle of that need and see it face to face. This quote kind-of sums it up for me:
"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -- Miriam Beard
And this quote as a warning:
"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home." -- James Michener
And this last quote just because I thought it interesting:
"Hitler didn't travel. Stalin didn't travel. Saddam Hussein never traveled. They didn't want to have their orthodoxy challenged." — Howard Gardner 

   So I will leave you with a few of my experiences that have helped shape me, and made me ask the question "How can anyone doubt that there is a God?" These experiences have also made me appreciate what I have, respect others for what they do with what they have, made me grateful for a God that is bilingual, and can minister to two people standing right next to each other and do not speak the same language but worship the same Savior.














~Till Next Time

1 comment:

myfantasticlife said...

Preach it! LOVED all your comments on travel. I so agree that it makes us better people -- more appreciative of what we have and more aware of who we are. Great post.