Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Little Bit of This & That, and A Little Bit of Here & There

     It's so sad to the end of the summer drawing close :( 
I can say that it has been a fun, productive, adventurous, exciting, relaxing, sometimes hectic, but overall delightful summer! I have been doing a little traveling, a lot of reading, visiting with friends, and meeting some new ones along the way. As always, my camera was with me along the way and so here is a lil of this & that and a bit of here & there.

So I've been taking an e-course on Creativity and seems it has got me thinking creatively about some of my furniture. I've been wanting to do something with my dresser, and after getting some courage from Brooke over at All Things Thrifty, I decided to jump right in. She has some great info on painting furniture and a lot of other great info as well. 
So I grabbed a few cans of Krylon's Bauhaus Gold spray paint and got to work. 
Here is the before:


And the after!!!


I wanted to do something different for the drawer pulls. So I jumped on one of my FAVORITE sites, Etsy and found these great antique water valves that I thought would make awesome drawer pulls...
What do you think of my furniture transformation??? 

After finishing up with my dresser, and realizing how easy it was, I thought, "My living room could use a little bit of mustard yellow"...I've really been dying to paint my bookshelf! 
I have to say that I'm very happy with both of my projects and the bookcase seems to lighten up the rest of the room.

I also made some changes to some other things around the house:

Made this memory board at a scrapbooking class last year and decided it was time it played a different role


So I added some small nails to the wooden hanger part and Voila!
a necklace holder

I also had to update my calendar. Seems that I keep buying the type of calendar that starts with the school year, so I have to get a new one in July...its this vicious circle that started in college and I can't seem to end because I hate to throw away a perfectly good half a year calendar just so I can start one with the new year. Oh well, I guess the cycle will continue, anyway this is my updated calendar.  
Look how cute and Fun!!

Can't you tell I love color


I've also been having a lot of fun with some of my favorite scrapbooking paper and the photo editing program Picnik. I have to say that I was also very inspired by Vicki over at Simply Hue here are a few of the pictures that I created. I had a lot of FUN with these and would love to know what you think about them :)
(you can click on the pic to see them bigger)

I found this lollipop at World Market and just loved it!! I thought it would make for a great photo prop







I made this next one in honor of my supervising teacher Mrs. Zana Curley haha!!!


And this one because...well sometimes I feel like God gets a good laugh out of my life. It sometimes seems that it is a low budget film and sadly it has never been a romantic comedy. No its more like a sarcastic, slapstick, strange british humor type of comedy (but with really good shoes) 



In between all this creativity I have been doing some running here & there. I was on staff again for YMI, the Young Ministers Institute. It's a week long retreat for young people that feel like they have been called into the ministry. It was good as always, but this year brought with it a lot of changes. The Blakney's, who birthed YMI, passed the baton. As with all things there are seasons and change, that is just a part of life.
We had a really good group this year, a lot of first timers.


YMI is always a good week for me to be apart of pouring into young lives, catching up with old friends, and meeting some new friends. 

Well, only 2 weeks left till I have to go back to the school grind. I have been asked again to present on Classroom Management at the New Teacher Orientation. Just to be asked this was such a HUGE compliment to me, considering I've only been teaching for 3 years.

So with my remaining few days left of freedom, I'm off to visit some family and friends throughout the state. I have a meeting on Monday and then going to see my cool lil nephew and niece in BR. Then it's on to Crowley to hand out with Kristy and Tony, and after that its on to Alexandria to see Rach, Liz and Brandon!!! 
It's going to be a fun week!!! and I will have my camera along for the ride as always :)

~Till Next Time
  

6 comments:

mom said...

LOVE THE DRESSER, good blog

Nora Rollins said...

You should sell your little creations. I would buy one. You could frame them.

myfantasticlife said...

Love the way the dresser turned out, the red scrapbook page, the calendar and the lollypop pages. Yeah, I would buy one of those!

Vicki Dvorak said...

Wow, you are so creative and ambitious, Sylvia! Love your gold dresser/bookshelf and all of the photos you edited on Picnik. :0)

Ana Eugenio said...

love the dresser and the board with your necklaces. the quotes and your editing is amazing. you've been really busy! that is great :) truly inspiring. I wish I had your energy, lol :) xoxo

lindsey said...

Your dresser looks awesome!! And, ahh...hearing about friends from camp makes me miss all of you that much more! I still can't tell you how special it was to me to see you guys at our wedding...the picture of all of us is one of my favorites! Have fun the rest of your summer, and I pray the beginning of the school year goes splendidly!