Sunday, August 14, 2011

Enjoying the Dream, Creating & Creating, and a Few "Sylvia" moments

Read "The Dot" to my kids and had them create their own dot.
    

     I just have to start by saying that I'm still having a hard time believing that I get to teach art and that they pay me to do it!! I feel like I'm in a dream and that things are to good to be true. No more GLE's, Praise Jesus!!! Also, there's the joy of getting to play with paint, chalk, markers, color pencils, crayons, and all the other wonderful things that you may find in an art room :)  It seems that since taking the creative e-course Raining Umbrellas I have been busting at the seams to create. I have been sketching more, painting more, creating more, and enjoying it all. I think a lot of my current creative inspiration has come from looking at others blogs, Etsy, and Pinterest. I've been making and creating, here are a few of the things that I've made lately:


As you can see, I'm having a blast with my art classes and its only been 3 days!!  I'm loving it!

This was the classes first project...we did our names!
Last night I decided I wanted to make a new headband and ended up making one for myself and one for my sister.



Here is the one for my sister...I used an old t-shirt and just Love the color!

I then decided that I was going to try and spray paint these shoes that I was going to get rid of. I really liked the them but the glue that was used on the scalloping had turned brown and ran and really made them look funky...so voila, a shoe redesign!
From this:

To this:

The pompoms are shoe clips that I made

I painted these as well, it's a light green but I'm really not feeling it...
I'm going to respray these in a Turquoise color


I'm thinking this color, Blue Ocean Breeze by Krylon.





I also made a some shoe clips and for see more of these cute great accessories in my crafting future.




Love the pink and white bows on the black!!!!!

I'm super excited about two things that I bought last night!!!!
I found these great old watch faces...
...and these

I'm so excited, going to create a great pic with these! I've been brainstorming of all the great things I'm going to do with them.

I'm also in the process of making myself a new journal. I'm using this awesome old book that I bought on Etsy from Wesley Asher. Go check out her shop, she has a bunch of great stuff.

So, this book is a Lovely old book from the late 50's published for the Children's Book Club Weekly Reader Group. It is absolutely filled with awesome pen and ink illustrations on perfectly aged toothy vanilla paper pages. I did cute a few of the awesome illustrations out to frame...they are so great!! I also photographed a bunch of them and will be using them to create some great prints. 

     While on the subject of prints, I'm super excited because I found a place to print my work to put in my Etsy shop. I had a very Sylvia moment the other day. I was so excited to get my first prints in and see how my work came out. Well it seems that my dyslexia was in full force and seems that what was supposed to say "calm" was printed as "clam" on all 7 copies I had ordered. Then to top it off the other print I had made I had left the "h" out of the word whisper...Ughhh!!!!!!! I am the worlds worst at not catching typos and for flipping the 2 letters in the middle of my words. Its moment like that when my learning disorder really drives me crazy!! My family got a good laugh out of it and said that it was very "Syl" haha!!! 
     It's moments like that and moments like a few months back that remind me I have a learning disorder. The moment a few months ago involved my Brake tag (those of you not from South Louisiana, I believe y'all call them inspection stickers)...anyways, so it seems that I thought that my break tag was ok because what I saw was, 01-11 when in fact it expired 11-10!!!!!(this was a lil longer ago then what I thought haha!!!) My sister was the one that pointed it out to me and I really had to look to see it haha!!! But I'm in good company when it comes to having learning disorders, seems that there are quite a few really awesome people that had this pesky Nuisance. Here's a few:
~Walt Disney
~Albert Einstein 
~Thomas Edison                                  {Just to name a few}
~Winston Churchill
Leonardo Da Vinci 
~Alexander Graham Bell

     Well, I have more to share, but this blog post is long enough. I'm going to call it a night and I will post more tomorrow. I found some great finds for my Christmas tree that I can't wait to show you. I love christmas and really had to hold myself back from not putting my tree up in Aug!!!!! haha!!!
~Till Next Time :)

4 comments:

mom said...

WAIT at least till nov 1 to put your tree up

The Art Bunny said...

Love that you are being so creative. What a great idea to re-vamp your shoes! They look wonderful! I would never have thought to do anything like that :)

uptownposh said...

Very cute!.. Great job, Sylvia!... I love the shoes redesign and shoe clip!!... I was wondering if you received my package, Sylvia?

Ana Eugenio said...

YAY!! you've got a place to print your work. can't wait to visit your Etsy shop :) very wise of you to list such great figures with learning disorders, lol. from what I see at your blog you do just fine ;) and you're unstoppable! it's always so inspiring to see what you're up to. love the headbands and the shoe clips. what a great idea to spray your shoes with a new color! they look so fancy :) you never share too much, dear. it's always a pleasure :) xoxo