Saturday, October 5, 2013

There's No Place Like Home


  So just like Dorothy, I feel we were swept up in a crazy whirlwind with all that was involved in the moving of our school. But thankfully we are finally HOME! 
My last post was a little over a month ago and WOW how have things changed and been one crazy wild ride! It is so awesome to finally be in a real school with hallways, and all the amazing bells and whistles that make up our new home. I feel so blessed to be able to call this new school home. 

It's been a dream to finally have the space and all of the resources that I now have in my new room and I won't lie...I'm having a ball making it feel like home! I've been pinning ideas on Pinterest for when this day would come and now that I have the room from heaven it's been so much fun getting to do all the things that I've always wanted to do in a classroom. The organization possibilities and fun decor possibilities that I can put into place have been endless. It's been fun to make all of these things happen. My kids mess with me because they say that its become their thing to seek and find the new added things to the classroom everyday. I told them it's the gnomes that come at night and make little changes haha!!! So after a lot of work, lots of pinterest time, many late afternoons, a lot of laminating, tons of really good mounting tape, a zillion labels, and a lot of moving around here is finally a tour and highlight of my classroom. (You don't know how excited I am to be able to post this!!)

Welcome to Room #197!
 Love that I have double doors!
 My wreath my lil Sister made me!
 Can't cover the door window all the way so window markers it is.
 My sign I made for Oct.
 When you first walk in my room. 
Phil the fabulous turtle watches the Tardy Sign in sheets. Love this! Students who come in late sign in their class period section and circle if its excused or unexcused and clip their office note to the paper and that way they don't have to wait on me if I'm with another student and I don't have to stop if I'm teaching. I then collect the paper at the end of the day and make changes to my attendance book as needed. 
 This is one part of my classroom that is not done. These boards will be moved and a full wall tack board with track lighting will be put in for art display. But this is working for right now since it may be a few weeks before the wall is installed. Love my Welcome Pennants my Mom made me! 
 Found these Awesome GIANT goggly eyes at Michael's. Love the first time a student noticed them LOL!!!! My kids named him Bob 
 A view of the front. Door on the left leads to my balcony. Can't wait till it cools off some and we can go draw out there.
 The left side of my classroom. Make-up work crate, Bellwork sheets, mixed sketching paper, group supply buckets, and mixed class supplies.
 My craft storage cabinet, canvas cabinet (yeah, using some of it for textbook storage haha!)
Love that I can now display my students work like the Keith Haring and Blue Dog paintings.
 Love all of the organization and that everything is labeled. Love this construction paper organizer and the paper scraps are all organized by colors on the right.
 Love that the items are all clearly marked and easy for the kids to find. Love my Chevron labels!!
Pencils and etc. Haha Labels say, top to bottom: Ready to use Pencils, Strugglin Pencils, Erasers.
I have a student that has the job of sharpening the "Strugglin" Pencils. (Yes, the students helped my come up with labels)

My hand washing station. Love it!!

 Student computer area and my awesome windows. 
The back of the school is still under construction but when its done we will have an awesome view of the football field.
Doorway in the back is to my wonderful Kiln room where I have two kilns and moist and dry clay storage.
 My paint dispensing area. Love the paint bottles!!! No more unclogging pumps YAY!!! Paint brushes right above and sink to the left.
Artwork displayed above the paint dispensing area

Paint cabinet. More student artwork at the top and  Love the map of the Louvre, postcards, and my pic with Mona that I got last summer!

 Door on the left leads to the Wood shop class (Very convenient!) and door on the right leads to my awesome storage room. Love my mask collection from all of my travels. I told the kids when they go in the storage room they are watching haha!!
 Amazing storage room with some much awesome locking storage! These drawers are so stinking big and hold soooo much!
More storage. Got most of it organized but there's more I want to do in here.

How awesome is that!!!! One whole cabinet for paper and canvases...Ahhhh :)

Other side of the storage room.
Student lockers for art supplies. 
(This was an old pic. Since this was taken I have labeled each locker with a cute chevron patten label)

 The pottery side of the classroom. (Fine Art Survey had their projects dying on the pottery tables.)
Both of those large tables will be covered with canvas for wedging and hand building. There are 4 pottery wheels as well.

 One of the posters I made to remind my kids to draw light!

 Saw this idea on Pinterest and LOVED it! 
My kids are always saying that Art class goes by faster than any of their other classes. Love how it turned out!
 This is kind-of like Grand Central. The Agenda boards, Calendar with due dates, and my "I Can's" (objectives)
 Again, another thing I stole from Pinterest. Andy Warhol inspired "I Can". Love how the giant Pop Art can turned out. The kids thought I was so clever...I told them, "Of course I got it from Pinterest. Teachers motto is, "Beg, Borrow, and Steal and if you're stealing, steal from the best!"

My Dale Chihuly inspired chandelier made from water bottles and sharpie
 My desk area, smart board, Elmo camera, and grades work storage for each class period.
 Love the quote above the smart board. "It's Called ARTWORK because it's WORK! 
 The back of my desk. 
Some of my artwork displayed and items given to me by past students. File cabinet for projects, worksheets, and Scholastic Art class sets. Behavior charts for each class on clip boards in easy reach.

My plant terrarium...the fairies and the gnomes are more than Welcome :) 

So as you can see it's come a long way since it looked like this
How it looked after the movers got done moving all of my stuff from my old room

Thank God for some of my Awesome students who came and worked hours with me and helped unbox over 600 boxes of new supplies on top of all of the old stuff that was moved. It was a mess and I was feeling a bit overwhelmed but these guys were Amazing!!! Love my kids!!!!

So now that we are moved in and settling in I'm working on somethings.

We got our "Before I Die" wall moved to the new school and working on finding it a place.

I have also started Art Club back up and we are working on making some public art for around the school. Here is one of the projects we are working on now

And then the Social Studies dept. asked if we would help create this large flag with the whole school for our Veterans Day celebration

And then we are also planning to start on a large Andy Warhol mural for the cafeteria 


So a lot of fun things going on! 
Love that SPHS now has a permanent home. I love that I get to teach in what I like to call Art Heaven and it really does feel like...
There's No Place Like Home :)

~Till Next Time

No comments: