Monday, December 9, 2013

Hi, My Name is Sylvia and I'm a Poser

Let me confess...Most of the time I feel like a poser. 
      This latest revelation came when I was asked by a friend if she could interview me for an assignment that she had. I thought, "Hmm... really?? You want to interview me??" She said she needed to interview someone who has inspired her in her profession (she's an art teacher as well). Let me just say that she is by far a much better artist then I am! So I was really wondering, "Why me?? There has to be a better person??"
 She was the art teacher at our school before me and did a great job of starting an art program at a school that didn't have one prior to her. I got to work with her when I was still teaching Social Studies and then for one really great year we both taught art. It was so great to work with another art teacher teaching the same subjects. Now I won't lie, when she was there and we were both teaching the same class I would worry so much. You see I was first a SS teacher and I felt like such a poser teaching art. She was such a better artist then me that I worried I wouldn't cut it. 
 I guess I always wanted to teach art but didn't want to put all of my eggs in one basket (aka, an art degree).  I was in school when No Child Left Behind was being put into place and also a time when a lot of the art classes were being cut from schools. I didn't want to get out with a degree that I couldn't use. So I decided that I would go the SS route (I've always liked history and government), and take art classes along the way so that I could get a job and then get my certification to teach art. So thats what I did, I graduated with a degree in Secondary Ed SS and went and passed the praxis to be certified to teach art. I taught SS for 2 years, then 1 year of SS and Fine Arts, and the last 2 years have been just art. Nope, I don't have a degree in art...Yep, I feel like a poser. 
     So many times when I am talking to other art teachers I don't feel like I'm one of them. Also...most of the time I don't feel like an artist. I feel like I'm a great copier and reproducer but I really truly never feel like I'm an artist. I guess my stuff seems more crafty and in the art world...well thats almost a sin. haha! 
I have no dark inner turmoil, I like Color! I can draw so so, and I don't really have this certain style that defines me or my art. I get most of my inspiration from (Wait for it...) PINTEREST!! Shocker right???!!! 
I found this quote
Maybe, if this quote is right, then maybe thats how I'm an artist? Maybe it's the fact that I help inspire the kids around me...haha again I feel as if I'm failing/posing at that part.
I looked up the definition of the word Artist, here is what  dictionary.com had to say

Art·ist
1.a person who produces works in any of the arts that are primarily subject to aesthetic criteria.  
2.a person who practices one of the fine arts, especially a painter or sculptor. 
3.a person whose trade or profession requires a knowledge of design, drawing, painting, etc.: acommercial artist. 
4.a person who works in one of the performing arts, as an actor, musician, or singer; a publicperformer: a mime artist; an artist of the dance. 
5.a person whose work exhibits exceptional skill.
I guess as a teacher I may meet some of the above requirements.
I also found this and thought it was pretty interesting.
  Yeah, that about sums it up haha! Seems even if I don't call myself an artist I tend to act like them. 
Maybe one day when I grow up I can be an artist...as of right now I'm still not sure. 
Wed. night I do the interview. Should be interesting since I have no idea what I'm going to say, especially since deep down I really feel like a poser.

But as this quote says:
Guess I've been posing for some time, and not just as an artist ;)

~Till Next Time 

No comments: