Sunday, March 23, 2014

What I've Been Up To

   So I haven't really felt like blogging lately...I haven't really felt like journaling, picture taking, or working in my Smash Book. I feel like I'm in a bit of a slump. But the best way to get out of a slump is well...to just get out by doing it.
 But I have been doing good at getting in my gym time and I'm making A's in my pottery class, so I guess there that. haha!

Our first project was to do a Slab Tile Puzzle 

Here it is finished. 

Next we had to create a rattle that we would burnish instead of glazing. We had to have some areas that were carved out and then use a smooth river stone to burnish it. We are going to fire it in the kiln once on a low fire then fire it in a outdoor fire pit with paper, cow manure, and hair to give it a pretty shiny black look.
Here is what it looks like right now unfired with just the top of him burnished so far.

This is the whole back burnished.

This was the inspiration. One of my students did this for their grid project and I thought it was a cat. Come to find out after I made my rattle I showed a picture to my kid and she was like, "Ms Latham...he's not a cat!" Seems he's some type of cross between a cat and a raccoon or something. Anyway, while I was working on it my pottery teacher was giving me a hard time about it, he likes to give me a hard time since I'm an art teacher taking his class (it's all in good fun), and so I named him Mr Johnson :) 

We just finished up our first 9 weeks. I can't believe how fast this school year is going by. I do have to say that I am counting down till the summer break. 
So I decided to add a little "something" to my exam 
Here was me and my lil friend wishing them luck.
Someone thought he was cute! haha
Here is my half way point...Mr. Bingley cheering them on. 

haha!!! So there was an arrow with the words "Invisible Leprechaun." Haha...some of my students decided to make him visible.
 These cracked me up!!

 I've been working on getting everything together for our Arts Fest which will be May 8th. A student and I worked together to create the image below to use to create flyers, postcards, and t-shirts for the Arts Fest. It's going to be an art show and spring concert put on by our kids. I'm pretty excited about it. I'm trying to have some interactive art display, an art make and take, we will be selling concessions, possible selling some artwork, raising money for Convent House by selling Houses of Hope, and then enjoying a band concert by the SPHS band. I think it's going to be a great night for our school and community!


Work has been going good. I have to say that this has been my best semester for me. Every semester is different just like every class and student is so different. I have had more creative classes, and smaller classes, but this year my attitude is different and that is making the biggest difference!! I have really been working on making sure that my priorities are in the right place, that I'm using my planning period more productive, and I'm learning that I can't do everything and I'm more productive if I choose to focus on just a few things then try and divide my time and energy across a lot of different things. I'm not as stressed and so I'm enjoying teaching and the job more. I have made myself leave the grading at home, not do lesson plans on the weekend, and not overload my plate. I have been making sure that I'm going to the gym and taking time for me, and yes this all is helping me to be a better teacher. I think that we are better teachers when we like what we do, when our students think we are happy to be there, and when we are not spread so thin that we are meeting ourselves coming and going. 

As a part of my word Flourish I've really been working on being healthier and I've been doing a few things to do that. 
I've been going to the gym at least 3 times a week, I've been using my Mom's dehydrator to make my own fruit snacks, and I'm about to join my cousin and some friends for the AdvoCare 24 Day Challenge. I'm doing it more as a cleanse and hoping to maybe lose a few pounds in the process. 

Hope that you all have a very Happy Week!!!

~Till Next Time



1 comment:

clairebear said...

Love your blog. I hope I haven't creepy stalked you until you decided not to post anymore.