Saturday, August 23, 2014

We've Crossed Over...And There's No Going Back!


        I made the jump, I took the leap...I switched to a Choice-Based classroom. We're only 3 weeks in but I can say...there is NO GOING BACK!
It was very scary for me, and took me some time to wrap my head around all the changes that I had to make. I also had to figure out how to make it work since I was not going to do a full choice-based setting with my Art 1 class. My Art 1 kids come to me having never had an art class and have no foundation. So I made the choice to do a modified choice with my Art 1 and full choice with my Art 2, 3, and 4. I can say that just with the first couple of projects I am super excited to see what they are coming up with.
I had the Art 2 classes come up with a list of 15 different Themes. Then the classes voted on what theme they wanted to do first. I knew that they all had a working knowledge of drawing and sculpture. So the first two centers that are open for this theme is the Drawing Center and the 3D Sculpture Center. The theme that they picked was Vintage. Here is what they are working on:
First project was a 3D Name sculpture.
 Each student used foam board, the letters of their name, and the Elements and Principles of Art to create their sculpture. This is a great project for the students to review some of the skills that they used in Art 1.

For the Vintage themed project I have one that made a paper doll and is now designing her vintage clothes. She even made the baby doll today haha! Funny enough this student has never had a paper doll or really knew what they were LOL...I felt old!!!

Another is working on a Zentangle designed vintage record player. 

Now this may not look like a project but it's the beginning of what will be the backdrop for a vintage King Kong and Godzilla sculpture. It's going to have a 3D sculpture of the Empire State building and the student is going to draw Godzilla and King Kong on poster board with a cityscape and skyline in the background. I also foresee a short video when she is done :)

This is by far one of my favorites and I can't wait to see it when it's all done! 
Pop Art style, old school Chuck Taylor in paper-mache.

To give you some idea of the scale! haha Love it!

   These are just a few of the projects there are all working on something different and I have to say it's been fun!

Now I also have a couple of Art 3 students. They don't have to stick to the Theme. It's no holds barred.
I have to say that I was very impressed with what one of my students came in wanting to do. I asked her what she wanted to do for a project and her reply, "I want to build a city!" She comes back the next day with a sketching showing me an amazing rough draft of a city with all these different sections.
She's going to use all types of materials, and its going to have a city, suburb area, forest, seaport, mountain area, a lighthouse, castle, and even a tunnel. She's going to be painting, collaging, making 3D sculptures, and we've even busted out the Spray Foam!!

Using Spay Foam to make her mountain cliff area...See her tunnel in there?? 
Oh yeah, it's big! It's 4ft x 4ft
LOVE THAT THIS IS HAPPEN IN ART CLASS!!!

This is also the kid who when I asked her what she did over the summer and if she made any art brings these in to show me:
I showed a video in art class on spray paint street art. 
Over the summer she watched some Youtube videos and taught herself how to create these amazing spray paint artworks. 


To say that I was Amazed and awed is an understatement...oh and kind of felt like a proud parent haha!


And to top off all of the amazingness...she tells me she made me one!
She even made her own stencil to make the unicorns. I was so proud of her and love my new artwork!!!


So I've got a new Exit Ticket board. Each of my Art 2 and 3 students are required to post an exit ticket each day as a way to communicate to me what they worked on, what they learned, what they have questions about, and what additional help they need from me. So far it's working good. I did make each ticket worth a point.

Here's another Art 3 student working on a Picasso inspired button project.

I was super excited to find out that I won the Gelliarts give away. One of the soon to be opened centers in my classroom is going to be the Printing Center and I love all of the ways that you can use the Gelli Arts Printing Plate. I enter contest all the time but never win and then out of the blue I get an email saying that I won!!! Yay!!! Then they wanted to know a little about me, if I had a blog, and how I planned to use the plates. I emailed them back and told them about my classroom, the change to Choice-Based and my blog. This is what they posted on their Facebook page. I had over 150 hits that day on my blog. 


So now I'm waiting on my package to show up so I can start playing with all these awesome things!!!
Check out the Amazing Gelli Art blog here for all types of projects, videos, and beautiful inspirations.
You can get your own Gelli Printing plate Here (this is not a sponsored ad...just showing some love!)



So lots of changes to the art room and one of the best has to be that this baby is up and running! The Clay Center will be opening soon!!! And I know how blessed I am to have a kiln room with storage for clay in progress, and claying waiting to be fired. It's a dream art classroom!!!

So far a good first couple of weeks of school, everyone seems to be liking the art room changes, and only one more week till we get our long Labor Day Weekend. 

I will post a more soon since this has been all about school and I have been up to more then just work. 

~Till Next Time :) 


1 comment:

clairebear said...

Choicebased sounds so exciting! Glad your year is off to a good start. Congrats on your prize.